Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sep 4. Quattro passo

OK. Yesterday was the rest day. Just like the grand tours we cyclistos need a rest day. But, following the rest day is to be the hardest day of the tour. I'll give the stats up top. In order, Passo Campolongo, Passo Gardena, Passo Sella and Passo Pordoi. 8,750 feet vertical, 65 miles horizontal and +5 hours in the saddle. This was another fantastico day. The weather was variable, cold and windy at the tops of the passes, which made the cappucino taste that much better. Maybe not the best cappucino ever, but certainly very close. As we climb the passes we dress in straight kit, jersey and shorts, but at the summits we change quickly into whatever we can find, knee and arm warmers, hats, long fingered gloves, windbreaker, etc. because the descents are long and the tops are cold. Today at the summits we sought shelter behind whatever wind breaks we could find. But, this was all part of the 100% climbing the Dolomites. No other way would be expected. The mountains surrounding these climbs are stark, Mars comes to mind, but intensely beautiful. The climbs are tough and long, mostly 5 - 6 miles at 8 - 12%, Heidi's instruction to look up a bit more difficult, but the descents provide an opportunity, if taken, to better marvel at where I am. I am desperately trying to soak all of this experience into my memory. The tops of the passes have become a bit bittersweet, relief to have completed the climb combined with sadness that I have completed the climb. As much fun as the descents are, and they are a blast, it is more difficult to leave the summits this day. Today was hard, without any doubt, maybe not the hardest, but quite possibly. Back to the hotel, dragged myself to my room on the first floor, please, no stairs, just the elevator, and lay on the bed completely spent. I don't think that I napped as much as passed out for 20 minutes. Unbelievably, I awoke with an immediate craving for gelato. Showered and headed for the gelateria, where I met John the guide, thankfully he was equally spent. And the gelato, you guessed, the best ever!

Tomorrow I will complete this adventure. It seems so long ago that we exited the bus at the base of the Stelvio. We'll likely cross the 40,000 feet of climbing sometime tomorrow, thats about 7 or so miles straight up. I'll work on a better analogy later.

Ciao for now.

No comments: