Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sept 02, A beautiful day in the Dolomites

Today would be two minor passes in glorious weather, Passo Staulanza and the historic Passo Duran where many years the Giro crosses, minor is only relevant when the comparison is to the Stelvio, though. Staulanza was a pass in much the same character as Monday's, many in your face 10 - 12% sections. Passo Duran was quite different though, even charming, if you can use this description for a 20K climb with extended sections of 12 - 14%. The climb starts with a right turn into a small village off of the descent. We continue to climb on this remarkably narrow one lane road, the first third through more villages. When I can, I'm wondering "what do these people do in these villages?", there doesn't seem to be any commerce. Actually, not much time to think as the pitch stiffens and heads up into the forest. The road remains one lane, at best, but with very little traffic. The views through the trees of the jagged peaks is fantastico. This climb heads from switch to switch, much more to my liking. I only have to concentrate on getting to the next switch, which because of the steep pitch, is not too far, then it's on to the next switch. All I have is to do this for as many switches as it takes. But that is a bit of a dilema. I don't know how many switches it is to the top. 34/25 and standing 23. I have been riding this climb with John from Florence, one of Andy's tour guides. John rides what appears to be a classic commuter bike, but with a 34/27, no clips and straight handlebars. With about a quarter of the climb to go I am a few meters ahead of John. I hear him behind me speaking to someone in Italian. At this point, at the very most, I might be able to utter a ciao, on the outbreath, certainly not more. John comes along side me, he is speaking to his wife on the phone. More intimidation? No. The climb finishes. We all gather at the summit cafe to gather ourselves and put on the descent clothing: arm warmers, knee warmers and vest. Today was a beautiful day in the Dolomites. Thursday will be a bit of an epic day, 115K and four passes. Tomorrow a rest day, and well needed.

Stats: 6,501 vertical, about 45 miles horizontal.

Ciao for now

No comments: