Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 10 Epilogue

It has now been 3 days since returning to my real life. Enough time to post a few final reflections.

The return bus trip from Alleghe to Verona was relatively quiet. I presume most were a bit saddened that the week was so abruptly completed. A bit of a shock to get out of the bus in the industrial park neighborhood of the West Point Hotel. We did, though, eventually manage to taxi into Verona for one final best Italian meals of the trip. The proscuto con meloni (sp?) with fig was extraordinarily good. Mark from Chicago, an accomplished foodie, insisted that the waiter bring out the 'good' balsamic vinegar, and when dripped on the fig, I wanted to savor every molecule of taste for as long as possible. However, others at the table were already moving into their pasta course and, if nothing else, the Dolomites taught me that I am certainly not one to be left behind.

As I was abruptly forced back into reality on Monday morning there were many questions from local non-cyclists. Or maybe not the completely non-cyclists, but those that could not fathom why I would ever consider the past week in Italy as a holiday. I mean, all that talk of suffering. I consider this a very legitimate question and one whose answer is not easily described. Firstly, I explain that there is a difference between pain and suffering. When Mark from Chicago crashed in a corner of one of the descents it was painful. When I climb from switch to switch it is not painful, but rather suffering at the upper levels of the possibility scale. I've pondered the question and come up with nothing that is explainable to the uninitiated. I do not claim to understand the draw that the suffering on a bicycle offers but maybe it's simply the sense of physical accomplishment. The achievement of reaching the summit of these Dolomiti passes is concrete. It is certainly not at all about how fast you arrive at the summit, but rather that you arrive at all. Upon cresting, the achievement is not vague or misunderstood. It is right in front of you as you summit. Either you completed the climb or you did not. And maybe that in itself is all there is to understand...

And finally, many who read the blog asked about the numerous references to the 50/34 or 25 or 23. For those readers interested check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_gearing

The trip was all about the superlatives, nothing mediocre, best cappucino, best gelato, best figs, best meal, best climb, best suffering, best friends, all the very best. The blog was an enjoyable effort to chronicle the adventure and to share what I could share.

The compact crank is already off the bike and back in the box, waiting for the next big mountain adventure. It's a bit anticlimatic getting on the bike here in the relative flatlands of Connecticut at elevation 800 ft. The suffering will be familiar, the scenery will again be familiar, but my knowledge and cycling core is forever changed...

Happy trails.

4 comments:

John Horton said...

Well written my friend! I hopefully can be as articulate and poetic as you were when I draft my epilogue. Still working on it. Stay tuned. Bill

Unknown said...

John, an excellent account and thanks for taking the time. And who know you had literary skills as well as cycling skills? It was an honor and a pleasure to ride with you and Bill. Happy trails, Steve from Tulsa

Ian said...

John,Well Done!I enjoyed riding with you, Bill and Tulsa Steve. They were glorious days in the mountains,hopefully we will all be able to do it again sometime soon.
Ian from Canada

Jeff Seaver said...

John,
An extraordinary account. Always knew you are a psychotic on two wheels. Had no idea you could prose your way around a bend as well. Well done. A graphic account that we "lesser" mortals who also love to feel quadriceps on fire can truly relate to. "Polishing the lever" indeed: didn't even know someone else did that, much less that it has a name. On Sleeping Giant in June, I finally just shouted "that's the last sprocket! you can stop now!!" - to no one in particular.

Great job of bringing us all along for the ride.