Monday, September 1, 2008

September 1

Today we moved from Bormio to Allegehe. On the bus, pouring rain as we left Bormio. After about 3 hours we again eventually pull onto the side of the road, somewhere in Italy, and Andy says, "this is it, get your bikes and dressed". We head up the Passo de Costalongo, allegedly a minor pass, about 25K of 8 - 12% climbs. Today's climbs are of the relentless sort. You come around a corner and the climb just lays out ahead of you, you try not to look up because it's disheartening, keep your head down, although Heidi keeps reminding me to look up, but nevertheless I peak, ugh. These climbs might be considered easier, I do not, they are of the hard sort (see the Stelvio post), but they are not nearly as interesting as the Stelvio's brutishness or the Gavia's intimacy. Eventually we stop for lunch at the top of the climb, under extremely threatening skies. The direction we're heading the sky is the gnarly layers of mountain grey to black. However, behind us a bit of blue, and for me, I am assured that it won't rain. Except for 10 - 20 drops, it does not rain. The Passo Fedia is similar to the mornings climbs, relentless. Bill and I ride in the almost fast group, which includes the two of us, so we're mostly inbetween, which is ok. The last section of climb I am seriously wondering why I'm doing this, and I'm desperately looking for the 34/27, again. On the suffering scale the judges give this a 6.8 out of a perfect 7.0. And, as we are approaching the top of the climb Andy comes noodling past, whistling...effing whistling. I couldn't catch the tune because all I really could hear was my labored, mehodical breathing. Oh well, just a bit of intimidation by our host. We stop at the cafe at the top, every summit seems to have a cafe, and Andy springs for cappucinos. No exageration, this was the best cappucino that I have ever ever had. Then a 15K downhill (50mph, until it gives me a scare and I back it off) to the most sublime hotel alongside some unknown lake at the base of the most dramatic jagged peaks that you cannot imagine. I am beat, for today. Tomorrow I won't remember any of the suffering, all I'll remember is the perfect cappucino.

Todays stats...6,500 ft vertical, 45 miles horizontal and about 3.75 hours in the saddle. I think we're now over 20,000 ft vertical. Two more passes on the agenda for tomorrow. I've scheduled a massage for tomorrow evening. Bill suggests that it's not a masseuse that I need but a therapist.

And I haven't mentioned the tunnels in previous posts. Before Saturday I did not know that you need to see the ground to be able to maintain your sense of balance on a bike. Many of the tunnels are pitch black with curves midway. You can figure the rest.

Ciao for now.

1 comment:

Heidi Rankin said...

You both better be taking photos!!! Although I know they will not do justice to what you are seeing (when you manage to keep your head up!). Will you two ever be able to endure life in boring Connecticut??? xoxo Heidi